In addition to designing and manufacturing soundproofing materials, Megasorber is a leader in testing and innovation in acoustics through the use of our Alpha Cabin Test Chamber.
Introducing the Megasorber Alpha Cabin
Acoustic Performance Sound Absorption Test Chamber
- Receive fast results to global standard: ISO 354:2003 ‘Acoustics – Measurement of sound absorption in a reverberation room’.
- Quick setup, ability to test entire 3D-shaped objects, such as acoustic baffles, acoustic fins, car seats and dashboard insulation.
- Testing conveniently requires a small sample of about 1sqm for any acoustic panels, perforated or slotted panels, timber or aluminium slats and any 3D panel systems.
- Megasorber Alpha Cabin is the only of its kind in the southern hemisphere.
- This Swiss-developed technology meets global standards.
- Secure test results under calibrated sound field conditions of a full reverberation room without the burden of a full room test.
- Compact reverberation room test method.
- Ability to test a variety of acoustic systems & shapes.
- Quick set-up
- The small sample size is about 1m2 (1.2m x 1m for a flat panel)
Traditional Test Methods for Sound Absorption
There are two normalised traditional methods:
- Impedance tube (or tube of Kundt) and
- Reverberation room.
1. The Impedance Tube (or tube of Kundt)
An example of Impedance tubes
The waves arrive at the surface perpendicularly (normal incidence).
Advantages: small sample size. Fast and easy to measure.
Disadvantage: It does not simulate real-life conditions. Unlikely for the sound waves to only arrive at the surface perpendicularly.
2. Full-Size Reverberation Room
Reverberation room: the angles of incidence are evenly distributed (random incidence).
Advantage: simulates real-life scenarios.
The disadvantage of the Full-Size Reverberation Room is that: Requires a large room (200 m3) and large samples (~ 10 m2 to 12 m2). Time-consuming to obtain real measurements.
The Megasorber Alpha Cabin provides the best features from the traditional test methods. The Alpha Cabin is excellent for validating the acoustic performance of your project or acoustic products.
We are proud to be the certified testing provider for Ford Australia and its suppliers. A few examples are shown below for a range of products that have been tested: