Soundproofing Turret Machine
Fortress Systems Australia Pty Ltd
324 Governor Road, Braeside, Victoria
- The turret punch press machine generated about 90dB(A) to 98dB(A).
- 85dB(A) is the national OHS standard for exposure to noise in the occupational environment.
- The noise level was about 90dB(A) when measured at 1m away and 1m above the ground.
- The noise level was measured at 85dB(A) at 4.5m away near the shelfing area, with roller door open.
- The noise travelled further down to the office areas, causing discomfort to the office workers.
- The noise consisted of a thumping noise by the machine (very low frequency) and a high pitch metal rattling noise (high frequency).
- Hearing protection was mandatory when working near the machine.
A soundproofing semi-enclosure was built around the machine
Megasorber engineers worked closely with the customer to develop a cost-effective soundproofing solution.
- A semi-enclosure was built around the machine.
- Megasorber DIS8 and C14 were incorporated into the plaster wall system.
- The internal walls and ceiling were lined with Megasorber P100WR-WH.
- The joins between Megasorber P100WR-WH panels were sealed with matching colour G8 white tape.
Please see the “further technical information” section below
for more details of the solution.?
Noise Reduction Measurement
- Machine operating conditions:? continuous punching on 3mm galvanised steel sheet.? This was selected because a machine
tends to generate the highest noise when working on this steel sheet.
- Noise generated by machine: about 90dB(A) to 98dB(A).
- Noise measurement positions: about 1m above the ground at three different locations:?
- P1: 1m away, at the front of the machine
- P2: 1m away, left-hand wall of the semi-enclosure
- P3: 4.5m away, near the shelfing rack, with roller door shut
Noise Measurement Positions
Noise Reduction Results
||Measured Noise Level
|Before the enclosure
||After the enclosure
Measured Noise Frequency Spectrum
It is evident from the noise frequency spectrum that:
- Low-frequency noise is concentrating around 200Hz to 315 Hz.?
- The high pitch noise is around 500Hz to 1,000Hz.
- The system reduced both the low and high-frequency noise effectively.
- There was a direct noise path from the turret machine to P1.? This resulted in a higher noise level, especially the high pitch nose at about
500Hz to 1,000Hz.
Noise Reduction Results
- The system reduced the noise level from 85dB(A) to 72 dB(A) at 4.5m away, i.e., a noise reduction of 13dB(A).
- The noise level is now well below the Occupational Health & Safety requirement of 85dB(A).
See our Understanding Noise Levels page to better understand these
decibel levels and how significant a 13 dB(A) noise reduction is.
Prior to installing the Megasorber product, our machine produced a significant amount of noise that carried to the office environment that,
at its worst, made talking on the phone very difficult. In the factory it was difficult to communicate verbally without yelling.
Once our enclosure was built using the Megasorber products, the machine became a moderate background noise only and does not interfere in either
of the two environments it previously disrupted.
We considered further sound reducing techniques such as adding a noise barrier roller door to the front opening, however, with the significant
reduction of sound emanating from the area it was assessed as unnecessary.
I would recommend the Megasorber system to anyone needing to limit loud and dangerous noise.
Fortress Systems Pty Ltd
Machine Semi-Enclosure Soundproofing Wall Finish
Machine Semi-Enclosure Soundproofing Ceiling Finish
Further Technical Information
The design details of the soundproofing semi-enclosure for the turret machine are shown in the following diagrams:
Contact Megasorber Today for a Customised Solution to Your Noise Problem